Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Say It Ain't So...Yep I am a wrestling fan!!! Why & How?

Jimmy Snuka Vs Don Muraco 1982 Steel Cage Madison Square Garden


I often get asked of course by non-wrestling fans...why pro-wrestling Rick? Do you know it's all fake and predetermined? No & yes to both questions. No that the injuries are very real and having done security for a  independent organization I have seen how hard these guys and gals do train to make sure everyone is safe from injuries to their partner and themselves. 

People have died in the ring to put on the "entertainment" for it's fans and have been paralyzed or career cut short due to injuries...Droz-(Paralyzed)  comes to mind, Stone Cold Steve Austin from a neck injury and most recently WWE Superstar Edge...

Anyways, I can blame my mother for turning me into a fan of the sport...she would talk about legends like Bobo Brazil, The Sheik and others that would do shows from Detroit...We are from the East side of the State! Imagine my surprise when one day after church we stopped by my Grandmother's house for Sunday dinner and found on Channle 50 from Detroit a wrestling show with no other than the legendary Sheik on it. Did that guy scare the beJesus out of me...he would throw fireballs-(Flash paper) and would occasionally use a spike or fork to man-handle his opponent...something his nephew Sabu would do much later on...but that is another story...

I was hooked....I saw people booing this guy who was to a 12 year old was a very mean and nasty person and the people hated him...and he loved it!! So, I had to find more on this "new" addiction I had....low & behold I caught a small promotion at the time who would film from a territory of New York and the North Eastern part of the country called the WWF....they were not HUGE as they are now but did show a lot of promise...later from the south I was able to find Georgia Championship Wrestling and the NWA....back then and to this day the formula is simple...you have a bad guy-(Heel) and a good guy-(Face) talk trash and what they are going to do to each other etc....called a promo.

When the "Feud" needed to be settled once and for all it was decided in a steel cage....15 feet of either chain link fence or steel piping...the winner was decided by one of the wrestlers going over the top and landing on the ground first or through the door and touching ground first.

So rewind to 1982...this feud of Don Moroco and Jimmy Snuka was tearing up arenas through-out the North East and finally was decided in Madison Square Garden in New York City...this is what finally made me decide YEP...I am a fan for life. Enjoy everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment